Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Courage is

Courage is an invisible thread
that twists through
my hidden soul
my secret self

Mostly
courage lies buried
in daily life’s debris
where acquiescence
smoothes the way

The daily decisions
choosing
this bread
or that apple
in the end
make no difference
in my life
to my dreams
Yet
Earth’s destiny
asserts
its disagreement
uninvited
unacknowledged

Who am I
to argue with Nature
I am a member
of a tribe
too large to contain
too diverse to control
too selfish to share
I pray hope
when
all else fails

Courage is a bitter brew
more frightening
than addictive
I am a member
of a tribe
that judges the price
too large
when I am the one
chosen to pay

This tribe
has devised
veils
creating heroes
everywhere
everyday
to mask
the flight of courage
from the everyday
everywhere

If it’s posted
printed
published
If it’s spoken
sung
and shared
Surely that is
proof
positive
and true
that courage
still lives on

Courage is
communion
most sacred
When open
to all
naked of
rubrics
most powerful
Courage is
the communion
that lifts
the hidden thread
in the body politic
to be warp
and woof
of a people
of a community
of a nation
of the world
Courage is
the secret self
reaching for
its family

Lelanda Lee, 1-25-17

No comments: